|CASL and Privacy Focus:
Key Updates for the Staffing Industry
This session will focus on two compliance topics that staffing firms need to prepare for this year:
- We will soon see new regulations under Canada’s private sector privacy law, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), for reporting data breaches to the regulator and to potential victims. Staffing firms governed by PIPEDA need to take important steps to address the breach notification and reporting obligations, such as having a privacy breach response plan in place and maintaining breach records.
- On July 1, 2017, CASL’s transition period expires and the private right of action comes into force, whereby actual and statutory damages can be sought for CASL violations. Due diligence is a critical factor for the CRTC in determining monetary penalties and will also be weighed heavily by the courts when awarding damages. Staffing firms must understand what a strong CASL compliance program looks like, as this is necessary for demonstrating due diligence.
Join Fazila Nurani, Senior Counsel and Lead Trainer with PRIVATECH, as we review these compliance obligations in detail and address specific questions from staffing firms.
- Date: Tuesday April 25, 2017
- Time: 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm EST
- Registration Fee: Members: $239 (+ tax) | Non-Members: $350 (+ tax)
About Fazila Nurani
Fazila Nurani, B.A.Sc. (Elec.Eng.), LL.B., CIPP/C, CISA Senior Counsel, is one of Canada's top privacy lawyers, and the Founder of PRIVATECH Consulting, a leader in Privacy Solutions. Fazila is a privacy and information security consultant, lawyer and LeadTrainer.