Recent Notices to Members
ACSESS Notice to Ontario Members - Bill 148 Public Hearings - Dates confirmedBill 148 Public Hearings - Dates confirmed
Dear ACSESS Ontario members,
As you know, the Ontario government has introduced proposed legislation that would make broad-ranging amendments to Ontario's Employment Standards Act and Labour Relations Act. You can click here to read Bill 148, the Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act.
Among the changes included in Bill 148 (outlined in prior communications to members) are:
- The government is proposing increasing the minimum wage to $14 per hour on January 1, 2018, and to $15 per hour on January 1, 2019;
- The proposed legislation would ensure Temporary Help Agency (THA) employees are paid equally to permanent employees of the THA client when performing the same job;
- The proposed legislation would establish card-based union certification for the temporary help agency industry, the building services sector and home care and community services industry;
In addition to these changes, the province plans to hire up to 175 more employment standards officers and launch a program to educate both employees and small and medium-sized businesses about their rights and obligations under the Employment Standards Act.
I wanted you to know that these changes are now being studied by the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs. Now is the time to make your voice heard on these proposals. The committee has scheduled the following dates for public hearings across the province. ACSESS will be preparing our written response which will be shared with members in early July and we will presenting in Toronto the week of July 17th (date to be confirmed). Any member firm interested in presenting can also appear by teleconference or make a written submission:
- Week 1 - July 10 to 14: Thunder Bay, North Bay, Ottawa, Kingston, Windsor-Essex;
- Week 2 - July 17 to 21: London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Niagara, Hamilton, and Toronto.
Interested presenters must contact Eric Rennie, Clerk of the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs at:
Please note that the deadline for requests to appear for week 1 is 10 a.m. on Tuesday, July 4, 2017, and that the deadline for requests to appear for week 2 is 10 a.m. on Monday, July 10, 2017.
Mary McIninch, B.A, LL.B (Membre du Barreau du Quebec) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive Director, Government Relations/Directrice Générale
Association of Canadian Search, Employment and Staffing Services
Association Nationale des Entreprises en Recrutement et Placement de Personnel
2233 Argentia Road, Suite 100, Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2X7
T 905-826-6869 | Toll free 888-232-4962