WSIB Health and Safety Excellence program
New in 2020 is the WSIB Health and Safety Excellence program that recognizes Employer’s and workplace efforts in safety. This new program integrates the strengths of the previous WSIB Small Business, Safety Groups and Workwell programs. This new model provides a clear road map for Ontario businesses
Whether you are just getting started or want to optimize systems and processes you already have in place, the Excellence program can help you reach your goals.
Participants can earn both financial and non-financial rewards and create safer workplaces.
- to improve workplace health and safety and achieve recognition.
- Employers can choose to work on 1 to 5 health and safety topics in a 12-month period.
- Topics provide for customization to your business size and sector – make these topics work for you! Choose your level of entry and the topics which are relevant to you.
- Registration is open all year and you can start whenever you want. ACSESS offers 4 orientation sessions a year.
- Financial and non-financial recognition is based on your firm’s individual success. • ACSESS offers the supports, networking and competency building tools, samples and supports you need to succeed.
- Webinar meetings, online training, sample policies, forms, and content for all 5 steps of implementing your selected topics.
- Need onsite support and one to one service – that is available as well – additional fees apply.
How the Excellence program Works
- Attend an info session with the WSIB or ACSESS to learn about the program and the journey of excellence.
- Join: Choose an approved provider (ACSESS is an approved provider), complete an assessment and select from 1-5 topics to work on.
- Develop: Learn and implement safety topic(s) with the services and supports of ACSESS. ACSESS reviews, online, all evidence prior to the next step of WSIB submission.
- Demonstrate: Submit evidence of implementation for review by a WSIB validator.
- Achieve: Receive rebates and non-financial recognition.
- Firms require an active WSIB account, in good standing.
- Both Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 firms can participate; however, financial rebates are available for Schedule 1 firms only.
- Participation requires the firm to register with an official WSIB program provider (ACSESS).
- Firm must attend one orientation webinar in each 12-month period they participate in the Excellence program, with ACSESS as the Provider.
- Earn individual account rebates and reduce injuries in your workplace.
- Improve your health and safety culture.
- Gain access to James Ebidia (health and safety consultant with industry specific knowledge and expertise) and other team members.
- ACSESS provides the best staffing industry specific safety resources, networking, webinars and safety building tools to your firm to build competencies in the topics you select.
- ACSESS services are available online, in live and recorded webinars – work in the Excellence program, at your pace, in your workplace.
Under the 2020 Rate Framework, employers will fall into one of two categories based on their ability to influence their premium rates.
Group 1: Low Predictability (under 20%)
Businesses who have low insurable earnings and the number of past claims is low qualify for a minimum $1,000 rebate per completed Health and Safety Topic or 2% of their premiums, whichever is greater, up to 75% of WSIB premiums.
Group 2: High Predictability (over 20%)
Businesses who have high claim costs and considerable insurable earnings qualify for a 1.4% rebate off their WSIB premiums up to a maximum of $50,000 per completed Health and Safety Topic or 100% of their premium.
Maximum potential rebate for any firm is $250,000 per 12 months, for five topics completed or 75% of premiums paid.
Minimum is $5,000 for five topics completed.
NOTE: Predictability is a measurement of how much your past claims and insurable earnings can be used to predict future outcomes. As of September 30th, 2019, this information will be available on the WSIB Compass portal. https://www.wsib.ca/en/looking-data
- Change in your safety culture and improved safety performance. Structure and goals established for your safety program.
- An Excellence program participation badge will be visible in the WSIB COMPASS when a firm’s action plan is approved by the WSIB (updated quarterly).
- Firms will receive additional COMPASS recognition for each topic and level completed, as well as number of years in the program.
- Annually an achievement report will be sent to employers from the WSIB providing their progress in the program.
ACSESS Member - per WSIB Account Number : $825.00 + 2% of any rebate received from the WSIB while enrolled in the program with ACSESS.
Non-Member - per WSIB Account Number : $1,000.00 + 2% of any rebate received from the WSIB while enrolled in the program with ACSESS.